Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Getting More Flexible Every Day

Day 3- I decided to eat dinner first since I was starving when I got home at 7:00. Eating before doing yoga is not the best idea, but I've found that really only applies to doing it in a heated room. What happens if you do? You get a little queasy. Not such a fun feeling if you're in a packed studio with no easy escape route. Good news- it always passes if you just ease up on your intensity for a minute.

I'm already starting to feel more flexible and feel the stiffness in my spine go away. As yoga instructors like to say "remove blocks."

I've been thinking more and more about my goals for my 31 days of yoga. Like I said in my first post- it's a combination of improving my health (lose 10 lbs., improve my posture, deal with stress better) and my practice (become more flexible, improve my endurance and strength, achieve wheel).

Wheel pose is something I've been working up to for a while. I have a curve in the middle of my spine, so backbends have always been a challenge for me. But I know how good the are for my back, which is why I keep pushing through. Recently I've started doing a modification of wheel where I take the backbend, but put the crown of my head on the floor since my arms and back aren't strong enough yet. I'm hoping that by the end of the month I'll be able to do a full backbend.

No comments:

Post a Comment