Monday, March 1, 2010

Using Power Yoga to Celebrate my 30th Birthday!

Image Source: lululemon athletica (Monthly Challenge)
It's finally here! The month of my 30th Birthday! Rather than get depressed about getting older, I decided to celebrate by doing yoga every day and focus on adopting a healthier lifestyle as I move into my "30s"- eek!
Currently I do power yoga once a week with my friend Elizabeth at Baptiste Power Yoga Institute in Brookline. Power yoga is an amazing workout, but since I cancelled my gym membership, this is the only exercise I get during the week, and it's just not cutting it.
I've overhead people at the studio talk about committing to doing a month straight of yoga, and it's something I've always liked to try. Not only to challenge myself, but to see the impact it has on my fitness and overall well-being.
I started this blog (in addition to Birdinggirl.blogspot.com) to hold myself accountable and report back each day on how I'm doing.
Although Baptiste offers great unlimited yoga packages, I just don't have the time to commit to going to their studio every day since I don't live in the Boston area anymore. A while back I bought a CD (Putting Posture to your Prayers), which is an audio recording of Baron leading a class at the studio. This is what I use when I do yoga at home. It's 75 minutes (vs. 90 minutes in-studio), but it's still a very good workout, and mirrors the classes I'm used to. It's not as intense when you don't use a heated room, but it still gets the job done.

Day 1- I found time to do the CD after Steve and I got home from grocery shopping. Missed some of my favorite Monday night shows, but that's just one of the sacrifices I'm going to have to make if I'm going to find 75 minutes to fit in my yoga workout. Plus, considering all the health reports linking time spent watching TV and early death, I'm only doing myself a favor by replacing prime-time TV watching with yoga :)

1 comment:

  1. PS: For those of you in the Boston area- Prana Power Yoga is offering a great deal on 31 in 31 in case you've been inspired by my blog! http://www.pranapoweryoga.com/notices.php?notice=11
    I've never been to this studio so I can't personally recommend it, but used to pass it all the time on my way to the Pike and there were always lots of people going into class. I think that says a lot :) It seems very popular.

    ReplyDelete